Port pirie dating
Located in Ellen Street in a combination of buildings which include the old Customs House, the Victorian pavilion-style railway station and the Old Police Station.
It is a good quality National Trust museum which interesting displays of local history and memorabilia.
The muddy creek upon which the town's port was based was originally known as Samuel's Creek after its discoverer, Samuel Germein.
Around 1845 the schooner John Pirie (it was owned by John Pirie one of the directors of the South Australian Company) made its way up the creek and managed to take on board a flock of sheep which is transported across Spencer Gulf to near Port Lincoln.
It was as a result of this that Governor Robe named the site Port Pirie.
In 1848 some 85 acres were sold in the area for the modest sum of £85.
The old Customs House (1882) has been developed so it looks like a house from around 1900.
It is possible to get a Heritage Walk brochure here which provides a map and information on the town's major historic sites. National Trust Historic and Folk Museum By any measure this is an extraordinary building.
Family Hotel Located at 134 Ellen Street There is a great deal of charm about the small Family Hotel (built in 1904) in the main street.
It has some very attractive with well preserved lace ironwork on the verandah.
Port Pirie Large industrial centre on the shores of Spencer Gulf Located on the eastern shore of Spencer Gulf 229 km north of Adelaide, Port Pirie economy is driven by the huge silver, lead and zinc smelters which process the raw ore brought from Broken Hill and the large port which provides transportation for both the metal and rural industries which dominate the town.
Port Pirie proudly announces itself as 'The City of Friendly People' although the first sight one has is not of people but of the huge oil tanks on the outskirts of town and the grain silos and the chimney at the smelter.